Wednesday, January 15, 2014

To Playlist or Not To Playlist

I know that a lot of writers have very differentiating opinions on this subject.  Some people prefer to write in silence, some like atmospheric sounds in the background, some like to have music without lyrics, while others like to have a playlist that represents the story playing while they write. 

I fall somewhat in the latter.  I enjoy having a playlist while I write.

However, my playlists aren't made up of songs that remind me of the story or characters, at least not lyrically.  Most of the songs I prefer to listen to are ones that put me in the mood of the story.  Something about each one of these songs, whether it is the lyrics or music or both make me feel something that connects me to my work but doesn't necessarily represent the work itself.

Right now I am nearly finished writing my first draft of The Bone Carousel and thought I would share my playlist.

Keep in mind I have a very large range of musical tastes spanning many different genres. 

In no particular order...


Placebo - A Million Little Pieces
Blaqk Audio - Bliss
Aphex Twin - Flim
The Birthday Massacre - Remember Me
Ashlee Simpson - Bat For A Heart
Empire Of The Sun - Awakening
Katatonia - The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here
Julien-K - Nights Of Future Past
Antihoney - Dove
Halou - Dog Dreams
Mike Shinoda, Feat. Chino Moreno - Razors Out
Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
Sleep Party People - I'm Not Human At All
The Presets - Girl And The Sea
Morgan Page - Fight For You
Skrillex - Summit
Marilyn Manson - The Last Day On Earth




No comments:

Post a Comment